The law requires that all food handlers need to be trained according to their food handling work activities. Should an employee achieve an HABC Food Safety qualification, which is suitable for the work they do, it will assist food business operators in proving that they have displayed due diligence and are therefore compliant in the eyes of the law.
On obtaining an HABC food safety qualification, employees who handle food will gain a firm grasp of the importance of food safety and knowledge of the systems, techniques and procedures involved. Furthermore, they will have the confidence and expertise to deliver quality food safely to customers.
The HABC Food Safety qualifications are intended for anyone working in catering, hospitality or manufacturing settings where food is prepared, cooked, served or produced. Typical environments may include pubs, hotels, restaurants, retail, factories, contract catering, fast-food outlets, hospitals, care and nursing homes, schools, prisons and the armed forces.
Food Safety Levels
The purpose of the HABC Food Safety qualifications is as follows:
Level 1 - ensures that employees from all food sectors are equipped with a basic knowledge of food safety to enable them to produce safe food. These qualifications include:
• Level 1 Award in Food Safety in Catering
• Level 1 Award in Food Safety for Retail
• Level 1 Award in Food Safety for Manufacturing
• Level 1 National Award in Food Safety
Level 2 – ensures that food handlers are aware of the hazards and controls associated with the types of food they produce. These qualifications include:
• HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering (QCF)
• HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety for Manufacturing (QCF)
• HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety for Retail (QCF)
• HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering (Refresher)
• HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety for Manufacturing (Refresher)
Level 3 – ensures that supervisors are aware of the legislation applicable to food safety and how to communicate the required standards to employees. These qualifications include:
• HABC Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering (QCF)
• HABC Level 3 Award in Food Safety Supervision for Manufacturing (QCF)
• HABC Level 3 Award in Food Safety Supervision for Retail (QCF)
Level 4 - ensures that managers are aware of the procedures and standards required to ensure safe food is served at all times and that due diligence is taken. These qualifications include:
• HABC Level 4 Award in Managing Food Safety in Catering (QCF)
• HABC Level 4 Award in Food Safety Management for Manufacturing (QCF)
For more information on each of these levels, please click on the links below: